THE EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION OF PEACE OPERATIONS TRAINING CENTRES
ARTICLES OF ASSOCIATION
1. The European Association of Peace Operations Training Centres (EAPTC) is an open and voluntary association of European centres, institutions, networks, officials and programmes dealing with peace operations and crisis management education, training and research. It is a Regional association in the spirit of the International Association of Peacekeeping Training Centres (IAPTC).
2. The purpose of the EAPTC is to contribute to the effective and efficient preparation of European individuals, groups and organizations with respect to their engagement in planning and conducting peace and crisis response operations, through cooperative dialogue and actions, as well as through such cooperation with the wider international community within the IAPTC framework. Such cooperation will serve to strengthen and otherwise enhance both European and International peace and crisis response operations.
3. The principal objectives of the Association are:
· To strengthen coordination and cooperation amongst interested education and training centres/institutions, networks and interested officials within Europe.
· To facilitate the exchange of experience, best practices, lessons-identified and education and training initiatives and activities.
· To facilitate greater cooperative efforts in conducting crisis management education and training, through regular updates and exchanges of information on courses and exercises, and cooperative possibilities.
· To promote mutual understanding of different institutional and functional perspectives and organizational cultures present among military, police and the range of civilian components in peace and crisis response operations.
· To promote efficiency in planning and conducting education and training through cooperation, standardisation and harmonization.
· To share ongoing and planned research information and activity with respect to both peace and crisis response operations and the education and training for peace and crisis response operations.
· To benefit from exchanges with other like-minded International and Regional Associations, Networks and training centres within the framework of the IAPTC.
· To share European experience, best practices, lessons identified and education and training initiatives and activities, within the IAPTC membership.
4. The Association will comprise a loose grouping of like-minded European centres, institutions, networks, officials and programmes dealing with peace operations and crisis management education, training and research.
5. The membership of the Association shall hold an annual meeting in pursuit of the objectives of the Association.
6. There is no formal structure to the Association. The annual meeting will be chaired by a volunteer host, who will provide the venue, facilitate participation, provide a meeting secretariat and organize the planning for the event, either through a planning meeting with interested centres/institutions/networks, or online. The host for the prior annual meeting is expected to provide advice to the upcoming host.
7. The minutes of the annual meetings will be the principal records of agreements, activities, initiatives, and thrusts of discussion for the Association.
8. In addition to an annual meeting, activities ‘in the spirit of the Association’ may be initiated by any member, and open to the membership, for the purpose of discussing specific issues related to education, training and research.
9. If possible, the EAPTC members will also meet in conjunction with the Annual Conference of the IAPTC.
10. The advice of the membership will be taken into account in the further development of the Association and its activities.
11. The Association will be represented at the annual conference of the IAPTC by those members who normally attend the IAPTC and/or an appointed centre, network or individual official, as agreed at the Association’s annual meeting.
12. Membership is open to like-minded European centres, institutions, networks, officials and programmes engaged in education, training and research for peace operations and crisis management.
13. There is no formal membership for the Association. Membership consists of those who participate in the exchanges of information and/or participation in Association meetings. Members can be existing European networks or groups of training centres/Institutions, individual European centres/Institutions involved in education, training and research, and government officials with peace or crisis response responsibilities. In addition, Association meetings are open to international and regional organisations, NGOs with a training culture and European academic institutions, or individuals with an interest in education, training and research for peace and crisis response operations.
14. Membership ‘mailing lists’ will consist of those who participated in the last Association meeting, and others who express an interest in participating.
15. Amendments to these Articles may be made during the annual conference when approved by two thirds of those present.